Saturday, August 18, 2007

Almost time to move!

I finished my last day at work today, which went rather smoothly. I am happy to be moving on to school, but a bit sad to be leaving some of my coworkers behind. But who knows, I may see them again :)

I made a quick stop at Canadian Tire to pick up a floor lamp, since my living room and bedroom don't have ceiling lighting... and I only had one lamp. Then it was off to St. Andrews for the weekend. I got to see my relatives from Ontario before they headed back home, and most exciting was to see my new baby... Rebel XTi.

It certainly has some growing to do, but it is a nice start to a hobby I know I'll enjoy for many years to come. I was pleased with everything it came with and the condition. It will take me a while of fiddling before I am comfortable with all of the features. The kit lens is, as I suspected, not so great indoors. Which is fine, since I am mostly interested in outdoor shots. I was able to get some better lighting from a window, and captured a couple half decent ones of Cody.




I have researched a bit for telephoto lenses and have decided I would need a zoom of 300mm for the type of horse and riding shots I like to take. This would be half decent for "wildlife/nature" shots, but certainly not super. Anything more than 300mm would probably cost more than my Macbook. LOL The Canon 70-300mm IS USM would be ideal, the optics are great and the reviews are positive. The lessor quality lenses from 75-300mm have poor reviews, unfortunately, since the price is more "reasonable". The Sigma brand of lenses makes them mountabe for Canon camera bodies, and the prices tend to be slightly lower. However the telephoto range I'm looking at does not seem to have any reviews online, which would make me a bit cautious. I'm going to have to dig deeper and do more reading so I understand all the mumbo-jumbo better.

Be prepared for picture bombardment over the next little while!

No comments: